Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Moving to the U.S.

The past month or so have been hectic for me. Final exams to finish off my undergraduate career, packing, then moving to Boston to become one of the rarer species, a female math graduate student. The move itself wasn't too bad, but the differences between Canada and the U.S. were enough to keep me busy for a while. For example, I still don't know the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature, so looking at the weather forecast is useless. The fact that all the bills are in the same colour (well, color) confuses me. And when I say "zed-module" people look at me like I'm crazy. AND Americans don't know what the Boxing Day is.

But thankfully, I live in Boston. It is a great city, with lots of cool buildings and things to see, and everything you see seems to have something to do with the American history. It's not crazy big like New York, and I'm looking forward to my stay here. Plus, the accent is cool. I thought people were exaggerating when they referred to "Hahvahd." I didn't get to see much of the city yet. I was too busy finding the grocery store, and the mall, and other necessities of life. But once this semester is over, I hope to explore a bit of Boston. They say it gets cold in winter - but I'm thinking it can't be worse than Canada.

Math-wise, it doesn't seem that different from undergrad. I had this fantasy that once I became a grad student, I'd suddenly become smart or something. But I don't feel any different, and I'm definitely not any smarter! I haven't even been to half of my classes yet, but I have a feeling that I'll have to work hard to catch up to the others, who all seem amazingly smart. But since I'm enjoying myself with the classes, I'm not going to worry about how smart (or stupid) I am and all that, and I'm just going to have fun with the math, at least for now. Speaking of which, I'm stuck on a math problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment