Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cupcakes

It all started one day in June. I had met up with a friend I hadn't seen in over 5 years, and she was delighted to be able to show me around her favourite area of Manhattan: West Village. Being my newbie self to NYC, I willingly complied.

After a delicious brunch, she mentioned that there's a really good cupcake place nearby that's a must-go spot for visitors to New York. I wasn't a particular fan of cupcakes -- the only cupcakes I'd seen in recent years were the "Lil' Cakes" that are sold at virtually every Canadian supermarket -- but at the words "must-go spot", I couldn't object. (I also really, really like baked goods.)

A few confusing roads and old buildings later, there we were, at the famed Magnolia Bakery. This bakery is best known for the scene in Sex and the City, in which Sarah Jessica Parker is seen walking out of the bakery, eating one of their would-be famous cupcakes. The friend bought me a red velvet cupcake, citing it as her favourite. I had never seen such a bright red cake before; I couldn't even guess what it would taste like.

Yet, I don't complain about gourmet baked goods, especially not when they're recommended to me and I am not paying for my own. I happily devoured the sugar-filled treat in a mere few bites, without even realizing that a subtle hint of cocoa was the key thing about this particular kind of cupcake.

Admittedly, at the time I was eating it, the cupcake didn't quite taste as great as the hype. But little did I know, I would develop a huge craving for cupcakes that very night, and the one trip to the Magnolia Bakery would mark the beginning of the cupcake spree I was to embark on over the next few months...


USA

Crumbs: Massive cupcakes, and such a wide variety of flavours! Don't let the 3.75 USD price tag scare you - the cupcakes here are massive. There are also regular sized cupcakes at 2.50 USD for those that can't handle a jumbo cupcake.

The cupcakes at Crumbs in Stamford, CT

BOSTON

Francesca's Cafe: A nice little cafe serving all day breakfast, sandwiches, and salads. Cupcake selection is rather small, but the few they have are delicious! I had a chocolate one, which tasted like a huge brownie when eaten with the topping. Topping is in two colours, reminiscent of swirly ice creams from good ol' ice cream trucks with half vanilla and half chocolate. Cash only.

Even comes with a little container when it's to-go.

Sweet: One location in Boston, and another at Harvard Square. Girls will love the interior, it's so pink and pretty! The cakes are so dainty looking too, with their perfectly shaped toppings that somewhat remind me of those old Dairy Queen ads, where they say this ice cream will not fall even if you hold it upside down. 3.25 USD per cupcake.

Sweet at Harvard Square

NEW YORK

Babycakes: My personal favourite! This place specializes in allergen-free cupcakes (gluten-free, dairy-free, etc.). The vanilla topping is to die for - it almost has a caramelly taste. At 3.25 USD for a spelt cupcake, and 3.95-4.25 USD for a gluten-free cupcake, the prices are steep, but it is well worth the money.

Yes, I was this happy to find dairy-free cupcakes in NYC, I bought an entire box.

Gluten-free banana carrot cupcake


Magnolia Bakery: One of the most famous bakeries in NYC. So popular that there is a large lineup outside of the store most of the time, and there is a "12 cupcakes per customer" limit, unless you pre-order for your party. Also sells cheesecakes, banana puddings, and more.

View of the inside from the waiting line around the corner

Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery: Oddly enough, the best part about this bakery's cupcakes is that they aren't sickeningly sweet. And at 1.50 USD for a cupcake in Manhattan, really, what more could you ask for?

a Sexy Velvet

Tonnie's Minis: I stumbled on this little gem by chance, while roaming around West Village on a Thursday afternoon, looking for what was to be my first bite of the day. I had initially walked into the store upon seeing the sign "cheese-steaks", but walked out with one of their just-baked cupcakes instead. A melt-in-your-mouth experience!


SEATTLE

The Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co.: Just a 10-15 minute walk away from the Greyhound station. Not as much variety on a given day as some of the other cupcake places I have been to, but they carry some unique ones, e.g. the kinds I tried - green tea berry, raspberry white chocolate. Nice atmosphere, too. The one downside is that the bakery closes at 5pm on most days.

Raspberry White Chocolate, Green Tea Berry

STAMFORD

Located in Connecticut, halfway between NYC and New Haven, Stamford is "the town that works". This is where I spent my most recent summer, as an intern on weekdays and a tourist on weekends.

Matthew's Bakery: A small family owned bakery that feels homey from the moment you step in. A wide variety of baked goods are sold here, but what stood out for me were the cutesy Muppet cupcakes. 2.50 USD each.

I bought an Elmo and a Cookie Monster, but I eated the Elmo before I had a chance to photograph it.

WASHINGTON DC

Sticky Fingers Bakery: So good, you won't even believe their cakes are vegan! Located right by Columbia Heights metro station, this is what I would call a must-try spot for any cupcake lovers visiting Washington DC. 2.50 USD for each cupcake. I had an "orange popsicle" and a "cookies and cake".

Orange popsicle, Cookies and Cake

1 comment: