Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Life is knocking....shhh, ignore it.

First off, sorry for not posting sooner! It's amazing how the whole "oh I'll do it later" magically turns into 4 months later x.x


Anyways! Quick catching up. I just flew home to Alberta, before that I went camping for 4 days, then before that I just finished my last work term ever...that was basically my summer =P Now, surrounded by electronics, tea, moon cakes, and a cat who keeps pressing the 'd' and 's' keys on my laptop, I am back to blogging.


The ending of my last co-op term really got me thinking. In my case, it was the end of 31 months of work as an undergraduate student...that's 2.5 years of work experience! And here I am, one year of school left, and the full time job search stretching in front of me like a dismal fish.


I am among that percentage of students coming out of co-op who actually thought it was worth it. Yes, there were a lot of dark moments....CECS losing my papers, 5 PD courses, some .....interesting co-op terms and so forth, but in the end I got to do almost 2 whole years of work in fields that I am genuinely interested, and have met some fantastic people along the way. But now that that is over, it's time to focus on life.


It's actually kind of terrifying. Going into a co-op term, you always have that safety net - if the term is not going well, you know it's going to end in 4 or less months. Jobs in the real world? There is no end date...though I guess you could do some sort of contracting gig, and have contracts of a year or less at a time.


How do you make such a huge decision about your life? Do you follow the money, or do what you want to do? Ah hahaha, that is assuming you can even find a job in this interesting economy in the first place.


How long can you postpone the decision? Then again, if you put it off for too long...what if you miss opportunities on the way? Where do you go, how do you do it, when do you do it?


Oh life...go away. I'm on vacation until school starts.


-S

1 comment:

  1. How long can you postpone the decision? Around 7-8 years, depending on your laziness.

    But seriously, it is difficult. I think life has a way of working out if you're ambitious and work hard. In other words, you'll be fine.

    MattN.

    ReplyDelete