Thursday, February 25, 2010

Curry Call!

Ah, reading week.
The one time every two years where I refuse to look at homework, midterms, or course material and spend the week either eating, shopping, or lying on a beach. Despite my hatred of all things cold, this year I opted for a Montreal/Ottawa trip. Needless to say...I ate and shopped. It was heaven.

After my week of real poutine, crepes, chocolate, and different food varieties, the one thing I didn't get was a curry. Now, I LOVE curry. But the problem I have with it - no matter how many times I try, I can't seem to make a curry that tastes as good as it does in a restaurant.

I remember the first time I did a butter chicken. It was yummy, but the amount of oil I scooped out before eating it was...yeah. Then, the first time I did a 'basic' yellow curry, I kind of burnt the curry powder (yes, lol, just the powder itself), and the place smelt like it for weeks. In fact, my boyfriend's parents came and visited us the week afterwards, and his mother asked if we made curry recently (this was a full week later =P). I've tried the store bought curry jars and stuff...but they just don't taste the same! The one time I made a decent curry, was when I found a random on sale spice pack at Winners, of all places. For $2 + cost of chicken and coconut milk, it was yuuuuummy. But I would love to be able to create that without 'cheating'. =P When I say cheating, I say I'd rather mix the spices myself, then using a spice packet with unidentifiable yellow and redish powders.

This is where you come in. Does anyone have any good curry recipes? I'd love to try them, and post the results. Since curry is a lot of work, I might eventually end up just resorting to spice packets in the end...but not before saying I can cook a decent curry from scratch!!

Either post in the comments or e-mail me at foodmathlife.s@gmail.com. I'm looking forward to it :)

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment