Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Engineers Rule the World...

Now into my 4th year at Waterloo, this is my 3rd fall term on campus writing exams. If there was one thing all terms had in common, it is shitty exam schedules. I'm blessed this year, I don't have my 3 exams in 27 hours nonsense like last itme. However, after listening to everyone I know around me complain about their exams, I thought back to other terms.

Every year, it always feels like the engineers get off earlier than everyone else at Waterloo. I know that if you have exams right to the end, theoretically you have more time to study, which people might prefer. Personally, I would rather have my exams earlier (i.e. no exams on the 21st or 22nd), so I can actually go home for Christmas and enjoy it. I think I have a record this year...a whole 11 days at home! The Christmas/New Year holiday is always so packed with family and friends..I'd appreciate an extra day or two. If I got to go home on the 19th (so no exams on the 21st or 22nd), then I would not only be able to save $100 - $200 on airfare for flying on better days, but that would mean a whole 3 or 4 extra days at home! Every year, this isn't the case though.

Today, I was bored, and a headache was preventing me from actually studying anything meaningful. So instead...I decided to look at the UW exam schedule in depth. The results?
In total, on Dec 21 and 22nd, the last two days of the exam period, there are a total of 124 sections writing final exams. (That's a huge number...man we have a lot of courses). How many of them are engineering courses?

CHE 211
CHE 220
ECE 318
ME 269
ME 559
MSCI 331
NE 471

So...about 5.6% of the exams on the last two days are engineering. Engineering is one of 6 faculties on campus...so next, I'd be interested in knowing how many engineering students we have here. A search on uwaterloo.ca didn't turn up anything, but still, at first glance, it seems depressing. Next time...I'd like to go home earlier instead...

S

2 comments:

  1. If you are looking for the figures of students for each faculty, they are here, on page 23:

    http://www.analysis.uwaterloo.ca/docs/pi/PIReport_2009_FINAL.pdf

    For this fall term, counting people on co-op, there are 4,611 people in Engineering, with 6,321 people in Arts, and 5,145 in Math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really? Fascinating...especially since math makes up 47 of those 124 exams. *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete